Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Chapter 3 - The Hope

I can’t sleep. I just killed that man, how can I sleep? I still can feel his tremble. The image of pain on his eye engraved on my memory. I know it had to be done. But, still. I’ve killed a man. Even though I tried my best to let it go, but my consciousness won’t let it go. My hands are trembling. I never thought taking someone lives will be this hard.

The other things that keep me awakes are questions. What really happen around here? First, those mysterious death. Now, I met a guy who’s still alive even though his body was split to half. I bet his pain was so dreadful. What if my parents are on the same condition? Will I have the heart to kill them? Should I continue this journey or runaway from unknown truth?

I look at the guy’s body. His death was painful, but it would be worse if I let him live like that. I have my resolve now. I need to see the truth. I shall be prepared for anything. Whatever happens to my parents, I have to accept it. I don’t know whether I could kill them or not when the situation force me to, but for now I have to be strong and walk forward.

The sun has risen now. I didn’t sleep at all. I walk to the window and look trough. Nothing change from yesterday. The scenery of ultimate chaos is still there. I’m still not used to it. This place used to be crowded, but now I hear nothing.

I get out from that place and start to walk to my destinations, my friends’ house and my parent’s. I try to ignore these dead bodies, which is really hard. The stench is really foul. The buzzing of flies is heard whenever I walk past a body. It seems those flies doesn’t affected by whatever happens.

I walk quite far. I reach the outskirt of the city when the sun almost at the top. The road here is the same with those inside the city. Bodies and cars scattered all around. Bodies are so many, yet no survivor can be seen. I keep on walking until I see a familiar house. That’s Steve’s house. And the car wreck in front of it is Mark’s. That’s mean he’s here too.

With holding back the feeling of worst possibility, I run as fast as I can toward Steve’s house. I open the door which is not locked and call out their names. “Steve!!! Mark!!!” I open the first door on my right. The room is in a mess. I look into all rooms and find no one. I go to the second floor to Steve’s room. The room is empty, just like other rooms.

I walk across the room toward the window. I can see the backyard from this side. I remember the time when we were kids. That backyard was our playground. Wait! There’s something there. I can see the land looks like just been dug. I run to the backyard, almost fall on the stair.

When I reach the backyard, I can see some dirt was dug earlier. Is it them? I hold my breath a while. I have to make sure myself. I look around and find a shovel. I use it to dig the mounds of dirt. I dig it carefully, afraid to damage whatever down there.

Then I feel I hit something with my shovel. I have to be careful next time. I drop the shovel and try to dig it with my hand to avoid any unwanted damage. I’m surprised with my discovery. I manage to reveal a palm. Human’s palm. Fear comes to my mind. Whose hand is this? I try to dig more and more.

When I see the face, relieve and sadness mixed within my heart. It’s neither Mark nor Steve, which is a relieve. They are Steve’s parents. I feel bad for them. But, from this I can deduct one thing. Mark and Steve are alive. At least until they leave this house. The one burying this must be them. And without their body around, it’s safe to say they are survivors.

Well, one question is out. Where they are gone is my second priority right now. There is one more urgent thing than that, which is my parents’ condition. I hope their fate differ than that of Steve’s.

I stand up and bury Steve’s parents back. After finishing that I decide to leave the house. I keep on walking toward my parent’s house while searching for sign of any survivor. I have big hope right now after learning on Steve and Mark’s condition. I really hoping my parents share the same fate with them.

After a while, finally I reach my destination. It’s doesn’t change since the last time I were here. I step inside to the building. My heart is beating fast. I try the first room, which contain no live sign. I try almost every room and found nothing.

Then, I step into the kitchen and found something there. The stove is in a really bad condition. It looks like it was explode. The kitchen is really messy. Every electronic equipment is broken. Some of them were exploded. But, there’s one thing that catch my attention. There’s a black pattern far from any electronics. I’m positive there was something burnt here. But what?

Then I notice one thing when I cross the kitchen. I see a mound on the backyard from the window with flowers on it. I run to there as fast as I can. My heart is beating fast. Fear is clouding my heart. These mound wouldn’t be here for no reason.

I dig it with my hand only. I don’t want to damage whoever down there. After a while I feel that I touch something. When I see a hand there, tears start flowing from my eyes. I keep digging and digging. I manage to uncover the upper part of this body. My tear is flowing more and more. The body is hard to recognize. It was burned, badly. But I know her, which makes my heart hurts. It’s my mom. I fall on my knee. Crying and screaming. I hug her blackened, lifeless body. It’s really hard to accept this.

When I regain control of my mind, I release her body. Tears still flowing, but not as much as before. I stand and start to bury her body again. While burying her, I realize one thing. That means dad is still alive! When I finish, I weep my eyes and start praying for my mom.

I get inside the house. I’m quite lucky to find some clean water in a jug on the table. I sit down and drink some water, relaxing my mind and heart. I’m sure dad’s still alive. He must be the one who bury mom. I have to find him. There’s still much time until sunset. I have to go now.

3 comments:

  1. hm...cerita na udh bagus...pertahankan =D

    btw,kunjungin gw punya y - http://talebeyondtime.blogspot.com/ =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaooo! the main char sure ilogicall...

    ReplyDelete
  3. To Anonymous

    Can u please tell me at which point he was illogical and why?

    A nice and constructive comment can make this story better :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...

No FLAMING allowed!
Flaming comment will be deleted.