Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chapter 5 - Under the Moon

There are a group of dogs standing before us, looking with hungry looks on their eyes. I can see there are 2 Golden Retrievers, 1 Rottweiler, 2 Chihuahuas, and 2 Bulldogs. There are 5 other dogs that I don’t know the name. I’m not an expert of dogs, so I can’t tell some of dogs there. Those dogs keep standing and don’t move. They growl and bark over and over at us.

“Damn, man!” Billy shouts. I can’t blame him, anyone will shout if they are in this situation.
“Shut up, Billy! We have to walk back slowly,” dad instructs us. We start to move back slowly and carefully, trying to not attract their attention.

Suddenly, we hear barks from behind us. I turn around and see 3 dogs there, a Rottweiler, Dalmatian, and Siberian husky. It seems that these dogs are the ones that howling back then. This situation is bad. We’re surrounded by these vicious canines. What should we do?



“Run back to the fire!” Dad shouts and commands us. We run to the fire as fast as we can. Those dogs are surprised by our sudden movement and start to follow us. We are no match for their four legs. The gap between us is getting shorter and shorter. If we can’t get to the fire quickly, this could end badly.

Somehow I trip over and fall to the ground near the fire. I fall on my face. It hurts, but it doesn’t matter. What matter are those behind me. I turn over to see the distance between those dogs and me. When I turn over, what I see is a small brown dog jumping and opens it’s jaw, ready to bite. I scream and cover my face with my arm.

BAM!! Suddenly that Chihuahua is gone from front of my face, leaving only a long whine and a splash on the lake soon after. “You’re ‘kay, kiddo?” Billy shows up in front of me. A trunk with fire on it is held by his hands. It’s Billy that knock that dog away. I’m amazed at his speed. He managed to run, take a trunk, and knock that dog even before I get near the fire.

Billy offers his hand to help me get up. I grab his hand and stand. “How come you get there so fast?” I ask him while stand up. “Don’t know and don’t care. That’s what we must care about,” Billy points at those dogs. There are 15 dogs growling hungrily at us. I move back a few steps and grab a trunk from our campfire, small enough to be held by one hand and big enough to send a Chihuahua flying across the lake.

Our location right now is bad and good in the same time. Right now we are near our campfire from before. The lake is on our back with the fire near it and the dogs in front of us. With the dogs blocking our escape route, that’s mean we’re cornered and that’s bad. But, with the lake and fire behind us that’s mean the dogs can’t attack us from our back, and that’s good.

“Dad, are you okay?” I ask dad condition, he looks pale the last time I see his face. “Dad?” I looking around and realize that dad’s not around.
“Billy, where’s my dad?!” I scream to Billy who’s been busy keeping those hungry canines from us by using fire on his trunk.
“Beats me, kiddo! Didn’t ye the one with him?” Billy replies.
“I was! He was running with me before….” I stop talking. I see something quite far behind those dogs. “Isn’t that dad?” I try to focusing my eye. I’m right! It is dad! He’s been kneeling down and holding his body from ground with his hand.
“Hey, old man! Are ye awright?” It seems Billy already spots dad.

“Dad! Are you okay?” I shout to him. I’m worried about him. While looking at dad, a dog comes running at me. I swing my trunk at that dog. I missed! I swing it too fast and that dog manage to jump back. At least that dog cease to attack for now.

Wait a minute. There are over a dozen dogs attacking us, but why there are no dogs attacking my dad? In fact, they don’t even bother that dad’s lying there. There’s something not right. “Why they don’t attack dad?” I ask Billy.
“Dunno, kid! Shouldn’t ye be grateful? That’s mean yer dad will not harmed,” Billy says that while hitting a bulldog right on it’s head. “Ow, Yeah!”
“Yeah,” I swing my trunk to a Chihuahua which running at me, “I suppose.” This time I don’t miss. I hit it right on it’s torso and send it flying over for a second. It doesn’t wake up at all. I look at the bulldog that was hit by Billy. It lying silently on the ground with it’s head in a weird position. That’s mean we have 2 less dogs to worry about. There are still 12 dogs left though.

After those 2 dogs dead, the others dogs looks like reluctant to attack. They are keeping their distance from us, they even afraid of the fire on our trunks now. It seems they know that we can kill them easily. Well, that’s at least if they come to us one by one. If they attack us all at once, we’ll be in a grim situation.

I look at dad. He’s not kneeling anymore, he’s lying on the ground! Damn! There’s something wrong with dad. I should take him here. I know right now dad hasn’t been attacked at all, but that doesn’t guarantee anything. These dogs can start attacking dad anytime. Maybe now, when they’re afraid to attack, is the right time.

“Billy, I’m going to take dad here,” I tell Billy about this.
“What?! Are you nuts, kid? There’s this hungry dogs want to eat ya, and now ye want to get trough them? Damn, you crazy kid!”
“But, that’s my dad lying there!”I shout to Billy. Without waiting for any replay, I run toward the pack of dogs while swinging my trunks with fire on it. Those dogs jump back avoiding the fire from my trunk and created a path for me to go through.

“Kiddo, wait!” I ignore Billy’s shout. I keep running to dad while looking back to ensure they don’t chase me. Those dogs just looking at me and barks. I think they will chase me for a moment. When I reach dad, I turn to face that pack again, ensuring they don’t chase me. I put my trunks in front of me. With fire on it, it will hold them back for a while.

“Dad, what’s wrong?” I turn dad over to see his face.
“I… don’t know…” He replies slowly and hardly. His breath isn’t stable. I touch his face to check the temperature. His body is so hot. With the help of moonlight I can see that his face is pale and his eyes are red.

Suddenly I hear a lot of growls and barks, with Billy’s voice in middle of it. I look at Billy and see that the worst scenario has occurred. All dogs attack Billy simultaneously. They aren’t afraid of fire anymore, but they still dodging the trunk. “Kiddo, need a hand here!” Billy shouts for my help.

“Wait here dad,” I take my trunk and start to run to Billy. We need to kill them quickly if we want to survive. But, I’m not sure we can do much with only melee weapon. Despite that, I still need to help Billy.

To my surprise, 4 dogs turn and running at me. They stop in front of me and bark ferociously. I swing my trunks to avert them, but it doesn’t do much. They just dodge it for a second and then back to their previous position. They keep their distance carefully. They don’t seem want to attack me, merely just holding me back so I can’t help Billy.

“Argh!” I hear Billy screaming. I look at him and see a Rottweiler bites his left arm. He punches it with his other hand to make that dog let go of his bite. Another one tries to bite him too, but he managed to dodge. I want to help, but each time I move forward, one of these dogs in front of me start to barks and tries to bite me. What I can do is only watch Billy and hopes he will make it.

“Argh, dammit!” another dog bites him. This time a Dalmatian attacks his right hand. Billy drops his trunk because of pain. That dog keeps his jaws closed, while another dog bites his left arm. “No! Billy!!” I can only scream from here, unable to give any help.

After that dogs lock both of Billy’s arm, the others start to attack Billy. Billy manages to kick some of them. But that doesn’t last long. A golden retriever starts biting his leg. The Rottweiler from before jumps on Billy and make him fall to the ground.

“Billy!!” I shout again, which is not helping at all.
“Argh! Run kiddo!” Billy shouts to me with his last of strength. After saying that, the rest of the dogs start biting Billy. I can hear his sound of pain from here mixed with growls and biting sounds. The dogs guarding me are not joining their friends. They just looking at me and growling.

After a while, I can’t hear Billy’s sound anymore. All I can hear are those from the dogs. Then, all of a sudden, 3 dogs that were attacking Billy now turn around and start heading toward me. Now I surrounded by 7 dogs. This could end as bad as Billy.

A golden retriever starts to attack me. I swing my trunk and manage to hit it. Suddenly I feel something big hitting my chest. I fall down to the ground with the trunk off my hand. The thing that hit me was a Rottweiler. He growls in front of my face with hungry looks at it’s face. The other dogs walking slowly, approaching me. This is really bad. I can feel the Rottweiler’s breath on my face. It opens it’s jaws, ready to bite. When it starts to extend it’s head toward me, I close my eyes. This is it.

BANG! I hear a loud bang. I open my eyes and see that the Rottweiler is dead on my chest. BANG! I hear another bang. It’s a gunshot! I look behind me and see a blonde girl with a shotgun aiming here. BANG! She shots again. Right now there are three dead dogs around me, Rottweiler, Golden Retriever, and a dog that I don’t know.

Those dogs turn their attention toward that girl. They growl and bark at her, leaving what they were doing. Suddenly, a dog is running at her. She points her rifle to that dog and aim. When that dog really near, it jumps, ready to strike. At that time, I can hear another gunshot. Then I see that dog thrown over by the force from the bullet.

The other dogs seem moving further from me while still growling and barking. That girl walking toward me while still has her gun at ready. The dogs watch her carefully and reluctant to attack. That girl looking at me and offering her hand, “Are you okay?”

4 comments:

  1. Awesome.

    Er... dari mana ya...

    Dari pace udah bagus, keep going.

    Is shotgun too dangerous to shot when kill those crazy dogs? I mean the probability Jake get shot so high?^^

    ah there's a typo :

    “But, that’s my dad lying there!”I shout to Billy. Without waiting for any <<>>(should it be reply?^^)

    ReplyDelete
  2. About shotgun.
    Yes, it IS dangerous. I use it on purpose ;p
    Just wait for the next chapter...

    And I don't think it's a typo. Well, I'm not a master of grammar but I want to show that Jake shout and almost angry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fallendevil :
    no. I mean you type REPLAY instead REPLY ^^

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment...

No FLAMING allowed!
Flaming comment will be deleted.